Save 3% on your Genesis Mining Order
Use the Promo Code below
What is Bitcoin Cloud Mining?
Bitcoin cloud mining usually refers to the process of Bitcoin mining using the shared processing power of a bitcoin miners at a remote data center (Leased hashing power). Instead of owning your own physical bitcoin mining hardware on your premises, you pay for bitcoin mining power provided by a bitcoin cloud mining company.
Bitcoin mining was designed to be just profitable enough to be enough incentive for enough miners to secure the network. It was not designed to be a bitcoin mining arms race.
Typically the user purchases a contract and or hashing power from a data center in the form of GH/s (Gigahash / seconds). Customers of the data center purchase the desired amount of hashing power for the period of the contract. Some cloud mining companies allow customers to trade their hashing power they have purchased.
Cloud mining can also take the form of leasing or owning a bitcoin miner that is hosted remotely by a data center. Generally this type of cloud mining has data centers located in areas where electricity is cheaper or cooling of the miners is easy to do, or sometimes both. The data center will host the miner on your behalf, and you are able to connect to the miner and control it remotely.
Advantages of bitcoin cloud mining
- Instant activation – buy GH and start mining quickly, instead of waiting for delivery of your bitcoin mining hardware which could waste valuable days of mining. With cloud mining you never have to send back faulty equipment or troubleshoot new hardware.
- No risk of hardware failure – The data center is tasked with providing you with hardware that works and will absorb the cost of hardware failure, maintenance and configuration to provide you with a guaranteed up-time and payout
- No noise or heat or space – Bitcoin miners are notoriously noisy and generate extreme heat. By using a cloud mining company you do not have to put up with any of the noise and heat associated with mining. Worrying about adequate ventilation, cooling systems, backup generators, and safety
- No rise in electricity bill – bitcoin miners use a lot of electricity and by using a cloud mining company, your bill stays the same. Cloud mining companies usually get discounted or cheaper electricity because of their location, or bulk pricing.
Disadvantages of bitcoin cloud mining
- Risk of fraud – The bitcoin cloud mining industry is crawling with schemes and fraudsters who take advantage of people eager to grow their bitcoin holdings.
- Lower profits – The profit margin in bitcoin mining is minuscule, but paying for all the conveniences of cloud mining comes at a cost which often means lower profits than if you had your own hardware.
- Lack of control – Many cloud mining companies do not give you full control over your hashing power. Some do not allow you to choose the mining pool you want to use for example, or to tweak the miners settings and hashing output in the mining software.
Is bitcoin cloud mining profitable?
Profitability depends on the kind of cloud mining you are doing. For most people, unless there are very unique circumstances, right now the answer is NO. For people who know what they are doing, then it is possible to see opportunities and buy GH at the right times, to make sure you see a profit. A lot of people make good money with cloud mining, and many also lose everything.
Cloud mining companies would only sell their hashing power to you, if it were more profitable than simply keeping the bitcoin they mine.
At the moment most users starting new cloud mining contracts and buying GHs will never get a return on investment, due to the cost of the contract and BTC price. Having to mine back the cost of the contract as well as the GH to be break even, it is unlikely to be profitable.Bitcoin mining becomes unprofitable when the cost of running your cloud mining is more than the amount of bitcoin you are mining, and it would be more economical to simply buy bitcoin.
It is extremely difficult to accurately calculate the profit you will get for mining bitcoin over the long term. The main reason for this is the ever increasing bitcoin difficulty which itself is influenced by the ever expanding and contracting Hash rate of the bitcoin mining network. The Hash rate is grows and shrinks depending on how profitable it is to mine based on the market price of bitcoin.
Many cloud mining companies are actually ponzi schemes that eventually will become unsustainable and collapse. There are a few cloud mining companies that do have real datacenters and can provide proof of all their hardware etc. One such company is www.genesis-mining.com, who are one of the oldest cloud mining companies. As of June 2014, www.genesis-mining.com are operating on three bitcoin mining farms that are located in Europe, America and Asia.